Saturday, November 12, 2005

Veterans Day Recap

Yesterday's Veterans Day ceremony was sparsely attended, which was too bad because the weather was sunny, and we really had prepared a nice ceremony for the event.
Here Bob Britz reads off the symbolic meaning of each of the 13 folds necessary to properly fold an American flag with Jerry Lonigro and George Morris doing the honors.
Bill Grabarek read off summaries of each branch of the US Armed Forces as their flags were posted around the star points of our M60 battle tank memorial. Bill also concluded our ceremony with a touching poem about Veterans Day.
Earlier in the ceremony, Elburn Police Chief Jim Linane shared US Census facts about Veterans Day with the audience.
I gave a short speech at the memorial, and once again, was able to play "Taps" for our veterans facing east in front of the Legion building at exactly 11:00 am.
When I learned to play cornet in the fifth grade, I never thought that I would still be playing "Taps" 42 years later. But, doing so has been one of the most memorable and rewarding experiences of my life.
Those 24 somber notes mean so much to people. The eloquent emotion of that simple bugle call goes through me each time I play it. It still give me chills. And, it gets harder to hit the "high" note each year. Posted by Picasa