Friday, June 03, 2005

National League of Cities Honors Blog

The National League of Cities (NLC) has recently honored this Elburn web log. NLC writer Leanna Franklin found my blog on the internet, and included it in a story she wrote about "City Officials Using Web Logs to Keep in Touch." Subsequently, Dylan Nicole de Kervor from NLC's Department of Research and Municipal Programs wrote me an e-mail. She wanted to congratulate me on the inclusion of my Elburn mayor's web log in their searchable database of Examples of Programs for Cities.
Dylan wrote that the mayor's blog now "joins more than six thousand proven city solutions that NLC provides to it 18,000 member cities on a wide range of issues." The database entry itself goes on to state that the mayor of Elburn uses the blog "as a forum to explain to citizens how village decisions are made." It also states that the blog is used "to encourage citizens to get involved with their community."
It has been extremely gratifying to see how many people have searched for and found this blog. It has been featured in internet and newspaper stories from Portland, OR to Northfield, MN to Miami, FL. (See story on page 1B in the April 25th, 2005 edition of the Miami Herald by Nikki Waller. You must register with the Miami Herald and search their archives to view.)
If Elburn residents and citizens of the internet keep reading, I'll keep blogging. It's all about making the Village of Elburn into a "Better, and not just Bigger" community. It's also about having some "fun" along the way. Thank you everyone for your support and encouragement. And, thanks for reading.
Oh, yes, that's me "nikoning" at Denali last fall in the photo. My wife kept telling me to "Step back,... Step back." That's as far as I would go! LOL Posted by Hello